Aurélia Sanders, Lead Teacher
Aurélia has been teaching preschool since 2002. She has worked with children all of her life, and is happy to be doing the thing she loves most. Her many other passions include science, rock climbing, dancing, trapeze, and exploring the mysteries of nature.
Aurélia started the school with her husband Tim, who is a graphic designer and playwright. He shares Aurélia’s dream of creating and operating a fun, unique in-home Montessori preschool, and enjoys substitute teaching at Stepping Stone from time to time. Tim's other interests include volunteering, poetry, and taking Blue, the family dog, on walks through nearby Woodland Park. Aurélia, Tim, and the assistants are each trained in infant, child and adult CPR, as well as first aid and the prevention of blood-borne pathogens.
Aurélia’s Training and Experience
The State of Washington requires that early childhood educators enroll in annual training on topics related to caring for young children. Feel free to ask
Aurélia about the variety of training she receives. She’s happy to share any useful tips or insights with families in the Stepping Stone program.
Aurélia’s education and experience includes:
• Bachelors of Science in Environmental Geology and a Bachelors of Arts in Costume design
• Montessori training through Montessori Education Institute of the Pacific Northwest in 2004
• Trained in Early Childhood Education and Positive Discipline
• 5 years experience teaching as a Lead Teacher at The Learning Tree Montessori preschool, as a National Association for the Education of Young
People (NAEYC) accredited teacher
• Experience leading workshops in Montessori education
• Current Secretary for the Pacific Northwest Montessori Association.